The UNITE Service Corps held a 2014-15 year-end celebration at the Mountain Arts Center in Prestonsburg on June 4.
Click here to view photos.
Service Corps members provide math tutoring and drug abuse prevention education using the “Too Good for Drugs” and “Healthy Futures/Take 10” wellness curriculums to elementary school students. Service Corps members also serve as sponsors for anti-drug UNITE Clubs and recruit volunteers for school-based prevention programs.
A National Model
In October 2012, the UNITE Service Corps initiative was heralded “as a model to other rural counties across the country” by Wendy Spencer, executive officer of the Corporation for National and Community Service, which directs the AmeriCorps initiative across the United States.
Click here for latest news about UNITE’s Service Corps.
2014-15 Service Corps Members
|School System||Member||School Served|
|Bell Co.||Jennifer Huffman||Yellow Creek School Center|
|Taylor Roark||Page School Center|
|Wynter Scott||Bell Central School Center|
|Breathitt Co.||Jessica Gross||L.B.J. Elementary|
|Kenna Spears||Highland-Turner Elementary|
|Crystal Strong||Marie Roberts-Caney Elementary|
|East Bernstadt Ind.||Amanda Bowling||East Bernstadt Elementary|
|Harlan Co.||Brooke Bledsoe||Cumberland Elementary|
|Marlene Sergent||Rosspoint Elementary|
|Bill Slusher||Green Hills Elementary|
|Jason Owens||James A. Cawood Elementary|
|Johnson Co.||Megan Adkins||Highland Elementary|
|Jasmine Banks||Porter Elementary|
|Stacy Crum||W.R. Castle Elementary|
|Stacey Kretzer||Flat Gap Elementary|
|Lee McDonald||Central Elementary|
|Maria Wright||Meade Memorial Elementary|
|Knott Co.||Tyler Triplett||Carr Creek Elementary|
|Laurel Co.||Shayna Chasteen||Hazel Green Elementary|
|Benji Hammons||Cold Hill Elementary|
|Grace Larkey||Hunter Hills Elementary|
|Angela Wagers||Keavy Elementary|
|Leslie Co.||Tasha Hollin||Mountain View Elementary|
|Bethany Rockrohr||Hayes Lewis Elementary|
|Lilly Turner||Stinnett Elementary|
|Becky Young||W.B. Muncy Elementary|
|Owsley Co.||Shon Gray||Owsley County Elementary|
|Perry Co.||Tanner Brown||R.W. Combs Elementary|
|Vacant||East Perry Elementary|
|Pike Co.||Beth Coleman||Mullins Elementary|
|Karissa Henson||Kimper Elementary|
|Cary Hughes||Valley Elementary|
|Jenny Hylton||Southside Elementary|
|Mika Justice||Dorton Elementary|
|Robert Lounsberry||Elkhorn City Elementary|
|Amanda Lovern||Bevins Elementary|
|Ida McCoy||Phelps Elementary|
|LaShawna Miller||Feds Creek Elementary|
|Jamie Mounts||Johns Creek Elementary|
|Judy Ratliff||Millard Elementary|
|Rockcastle Co.||Michelle Martin||Mt. Vernon Elementary|
|Wolfe Co.||Sarah Bryant||Red River Valley Elementary|
|Christi Miller||Campton Elementary|
|Charli Swift||Rogers Elementary|
Making A Difference
UNITE employed 44 full-time AmeriCorps members for the 2013-14 school year as part of its UNITE Service Corps (USC) initiative. These members served 42 schools in 11 counties. They recorded the following statistics:
- 2,535 students were tutored in mathematics. Math test scores for 83% of these students increased 41% during the year.
- 3,530 students were provided one-on-one mentoring assistance.
- 2,321 students were taught the “Too Good For Drugs” and “Healthy Futures/Take 10!” curricula. Test scores for 805 of these students showed a 40% increase drug education knowledge and healthy decision-making information.
- 2,161 volunteers were recruited for school-related activities. They contributed 18,763 volunteer service hours.
- 19 Service Corps members became state certified in disaster and emergency response from the Kentucky Division of Emergency Management. This certification enables members to become leaders on local disaster response teams when the need arises.
- Members either sponsored or co-sponsored UNITE Clubs at their school with 3,051 student members.
In the News
- USC members attend AmeriCorps’ 20th anniversary conference. Read story and View photos 9-12-14
- Service, accomplishments recognized at year-end celebration. Read story and View photos 5-27-14
- The UNITE Service Corps has received funding for 44 AmeriCorps members for the 2014-15 school year as part of its UNITE Service Corps (USC) initiative. Read story. 5-5-14
- UNITE Service Corps expected to set record with holiday food drive collections. Read story 11-7-13
- Wolfe County “Stuff The Bus” food drive results in largest donation ever to food pantry. View the WYMT news story. 10-29-13
- In May 2012, the UNITE Service Corps initiative was honored for the second time in two years with the “Governor’s Citation” for its excellent leadership and service by the Kentucky Commission on Community Volunteerism and Service (KCCVS) in the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services. Read story about the Governor’s Citation.
- View photos from the year-end celebration conducted May 23, 2013, at the Mountain Arts Center in Prestonsburg. Read story about that event.