“On The Move!” is Operation UNITE’s newest drug education and prevention initiative. The five-component program is provided FREE to schools – through a partnership with Appalachia High-Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (AHIDTA) and the Kentucky Army National Guard – targeting students in 7th and 10th grades. Program instruction meets standards of the Kentucky Core Content areas of Practical Living and Health.
Interactive Mobile Classroom
Students are given a written survey prior to the program arriving on campus. These students are then surveyed throughout a 40-minute PowerPoint presentation via a Qwizdom® audience response system that provides immediate feedback and yields measurable data about their perceptions before and after the presentation. This data is shared with host schools, enabling them to determine specific needs within their student populations.
Simulated Impaired Driving Experience (SIDNE)
During this exercise, students utilize a battery-powered go-kart, controlled by a UNITE staff member, to simulate the effects of distraction and impairment from alcohol or other drugs on a motorist’s driving skills.
After receiving a safety briefing, students attempt to navigate a short obstacle course – and quickly experience unanticipated consequences. At the conclusion, students receive a debriefing to explain how their actions, although they may be correct, can be delayed by an impairment.
Fatal Vision Tri-cycle Course
Students wear special goggles that demonstrate various degrees of impairment while attempting to navigate a tri-cycle through a defined course. Although similar to the SIDNE go-kart experience, this activity is designed to simulate visual impairment.
Fatal Vision Marijuana Simulation Experience
Recreational marijuana use has been shown to impair cognitive functions on a number of levels – from basic motor coordination to more complex executive function tasks, such as the ability to plan, organize, solve problems, make decisions, remember, and control emotions and behavior. In this evidence-based experience, special goggles are used to demonstrate a student’s susceptibility to this impairment and the potential consequences (severity) that may occur.
The Choice Is Yours
The “On The Move!” program, as a whole, is designed to educate children about the dangers of making bad choices from using alcohol or other drugs. It provides them hands-on experiences for visual impairment, the brain’s reaction when impaired, and the physical reaction of the body to impairment. The combination of these elements makes the “On The Move!” initiative unique.
In The News
- “On The Move!” has been provided to 18,754 students at 182 schools in 37 counties in 4 states (Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia) through October 28 2016.
- View photos from Southern Middle School in Pulaski County on February 1, 2017.
- View photos from UNITE Service Corps training on the Fatal Vision Marijuana Simulated Experience exercises held November 2-3, 2016.
- View news coverage and Photo about Harrison County (WV) introducing new initiative to prevent drug abuse December 8-11, 2015.
- View photos from Wayne County visit November 4, 2015.
- View photos of White House ONDCP Director Michael Botticelli’s visit to Rockcastle County High May 6, 2015.
- View photos from Southwestern High school visit January 26 & 28, 2015.
- View photos from Laurel County visit January 15, 2015.
- View photos from Morgan County High and Morgan County Middle.
- View photos from Somerset High School.
- View photo from Magoffin County in December 2014.
- View photo from Knox County visit November 20-11, 2014.
- View photo from McCreary County in October 2014.
- View photo from Harlan County visit on October 28-29, 2014.
- View photos from Breathitt County visit on October 16, 2014. Watch video from the event.
- View photos from Somerset Christian School in Pulaski County on February 11, 2014.
- Operation UNITE drug prevention program “On The Move!” in Eastern Kentucky, WYMT report from Johnson County pilot program on December 13, 2013. VIDEO
- View photos from “On The Move!” debut in Rockcastle County on December 5, 2013.
Contact Mark Davis at 606-330-1413 or email@example.com