Noon on the 2nd Thursday of each month at the Harlan Campus of Southeastern Kentucky Community and Technical College, Harlan
P.O. Box 665, Harlan, KY 40831 or 2 Baker Street, Harlan, KY 40831.
UNITE Coalition Coordinator
Tom Vicini – firstname.lastname@example.org, 606-589-3069 (w), 606-416-1926 (cell)
- Chair – Henry Hughes, 606-589-4246 (h), 606-589-3193 (w), 606-273-1158 (cell), email@example.com
- Secretary – Janet White, 606-573-9534 (h), 606-573-3006 (w), 606-273-2375 (cell), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Interim Treasurer – Henry Hughes, 606-589-4246 (h), 606-589-3193 (w), 606-273-1158 (cell), email@example.com
- Education – Ken Howard, 606-573-3700 x20, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Faith-based – Bob Blackburn, 606-573-5288 (h), 606-573-6779 (w), email@example.com
- Grant Writing/Fundraising – Ray Doepel, 606-573-9495 (w), firstname.lastname@example.org
- HOFNOD – Henry Hughes, 606-589-4246 (h), 606-589-3193 (w), 606-273-1158 (cell), email@example.com
- Membership – Charles Powers, 606-573-6310, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Public Relations – Angela Wilson, 606-573-6953, email@example.com
- Youth Activities – Henry Hughes, 606-589-4246 (h), 606-589-3193 (w), 606-773-0844 (cell), firstname.lastname@example.org
- At-Large – Thomas Heck, 606-574-9213
HOFNOD “Take Me Fishing” summer program
Hooked On Fishing-Not On Drugs (HOFNOD) is a free “Take Me Fishing” program at Martins Fork Lake at Smith, Kentucky. There is free food and fun for everyone and all gear is provided. Hooked On Fishing-Not On Drugs is used widely in more than 30 states and territories. It teaches the basics of safe and ethical angling combined with long-term mentoring and positive life skills with conservation education. Visit www.futurefisherman.org to find out more on HOFNOD. For more information contact Thomas or Joyce Heck at 606-574-9213.
An average of 50 youth continue to attend the weekly Celebrate Recovery meetings held at Cumberland baptist Church. An average of 35 participants attend the weekly meetings at Harlan Christian Church. Reformers Unanimous sessions at Immanuel Baptist Church in Teetersville draws an average of 20 participants.
Harlan County News
CARYVILLE, TN – Residents of southern and eastern Kentucky are invited to participate in a unique and massive prayer walk on Saturday, November 8. Sponsored by the Stand in the Gap Coalition (SIGCO) – whose mission is similar to the anti-drug organization Operation UNITE in Kentucky’s Fifth Congressional District – the “Stand At The Cross” prayer walk will take place at noon just off...Read More
MT. VERNON – A new drug prevention initiative designed to provide youth another way to resist peer pressure to experiment with drugs was launched in Rockcastle County Tuesday, October 14. The “Give Me A Reason” program – a collaborative effort by the Appalachia High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (AHIDTA) and Operation UNITE – will provide free saliva-based drug test kits to parents...Read More
It’s all about service – to youth, to schools, and to communities across southern and eastern Kentucky. Operation UNITE’s Service Corps (AmeriCorps) initiative provides before and after school math tutoring and healthy choices programs to address drug prevention and nutritional education. Members also serve as sponsors for anti-drug UNITE Clubs and recruit volunteers for school-based...Read More
Residents across southern and eastern Kentucky brought 1,656.3 pounds of pills to drop box sites as part of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration’s 9th National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day. “Operation UNITE collected unwanted or outdated drugs from each of the 42 drop box locations in our service region,” noted Dan Smoot, president of the anti-drug organization. “Combined with the...Read More
The second week of September 2014 was the 20th anniversary of the AmeriCorps program. The UNITE Service Corps, along with other AmeriCorps groups in Kentucky, attended the 20th Anniversary Conference hosted by the Kentucky Commission of Community and Volunteer Service (KCCVS). The conference was held September 10-12 at the Galt House in Louisville. The USC team was instrumental in arranging for...Read More